Sunday, November 9, 2014

New Hobby

Dear World,

I have found a new love in my life.....
Sewing!!

I can't believe I used to think sewing was boring. I figured old women sewed because they were old and didn't have anything better to do with their time. Guess I was young and didn't have a very good well rounded education. But anyway, my Aunt Anita, who passed away a few years ago from brain cancer, used to sew and all kinds of artsy fartsy stuff. Back then I thought she was really cool too and totally not old and she was cool. Man, do I miss her being down the road from us so I could make necklaces with her and learn how to needlepoint. It was so much fun! That was the beginning of my journey with a needle and then I put it down.

A few days ago I picked it back up because I wanted to make a bag for a set of cards I have. They are special to me and I wanted to protect them. With fabric I found in the garage I began sewing a bag for them. The first one I made a button hole to close it but my boyfriend suggested I try a drawstring for the second bag. I did and it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. Then I also found some batting in the garage (where you can find everything you ever need) and decided to make a pillow. I started with a small one first and then progressed to a big rectangle. So far in the past four days I have made two bags and six pillows. So you can say that I've been busy. Lol. I've even begun cutting out stars and sewing them onto them pillows I'm making. Most of my pillows are called dream pillows because they have a velcro closure on the back that allows you to put herbs in them to help you sleep at night. So far it has helped me a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment